2.20.2009

Brazil Nuts - great way for a vegan to get nutrients!


I always associated Brazil Nuts with filler for mixed nuts. Often they are picked out first because they are large and have a mild flavor. Until I really looked into them I had no idea how full of nutrients they are. As a vegan I rely on nuts as a good source of nutrients and protein. A handful of nuts can be as satisfying as a turkey sandwhich to me now. I consume Brazil nuts often but in small amounts. To get the full effect of the nutrients I get them raw when I can. Trader Joe's has a great price on a bag of raw Brazil Nuts if you are lucky enough to have a TJ's in town. What really keeps me eating them is the fact they are high in selenium which may help prevent breast cancer. I eat just 2-4 and that seems to be enough to get a good amount of the nutrients. There are a lot of studies that have been done on Brazil nuts and googling them you will find all you need to know about them.
From Nature News:
Brazil nuts are the best way to add selenium to your diet. A recent study at the University of Otago in New Zealand found that eating just two Brazil nuts a day is as effective in increasing selenium status and enhancing glutathione peroxidase activity as a recommended dosage of selenomethionine. Inclusion of this high-selenium food in the diet could avoid the need for fortification or supplements to improve selenium levels.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for taking the time to discuss this, I feel strongly about it and love learning more on this topic. It is extremely helpful for me.


    Natural health remedies

    ReplyDelete