4.12.2009

Kombucha - Super Health Elixor

Two years ago I saw a new drink stocked at the Metropolitan Market in Seattle called Kombucha (pronounced kom-BOO-cha) and my curiosity was instantly in action. There were many flavors - grape, guava, green, plain, etc. My attention was grabbed by this statement on the bottle:

"G.T. Dave began bottling Kombucha in 1995 after his mother's success from drinking it during her battle with breast cancer....".

I took the green one home and began googling Kombucha and was amazed at what I was reading, the health benefits are immense. Kombucha is a handmade tea that is cultured for 30 days and during that process something magical happens. Kombucha is essentially sweetened tea or tisane that has been fermented using a macroscopic solid mass of microorganisms called a "kombucha colony". Kombucha is alive! Kombucha is a colony or culture of yeast and other microorganisms embedded in a pure cellulose "pancake." When the "pancake" is grown in a blend of tea and sugar, it transforms the liquid into a refreshingly lightly sparkling, sweet and sour drink with a fruity fragrance full of health giving acids and nutrients. The Kombucha culture feeds on the sugar and, in exchange, produces other valuable substances which change into the drink: glucuronic acid, glucon acid, lactic acid, vitamins, amino acids, and antibiotics. Kombucha is also great for vegans because it provides natural B12 which is lacking in the vegan diet. The bottle above contains 40% of the daily value of B12.

Reading straight from the bottle:
KOMBUCHA SUPPORTS:
Digestion
Metabolism
Immune System
Appetite Control
Weight Control
Liver Function
Body Alkalinity
Anti-Aging
Cell Integrity
Healthy Skin & Hair


There is more demand for Kombucha now more than ever so it is appearing in natural sections and natural stores everyday. Last week the grocery store near my house just added it, I was driving 1.5 miles to get it before. There are a few companies to choose from but I prefer G.T.'S. or High Country out of Colorado. The price varies from $2.75 - 4.20. Many people make it by hand but there are many precautions to take in that process. My goal is to make my own and I would love to hear from others that do :)
****Don't be afraid of the floaties, drink them up!
****The picture below is handmade kombucha with growing organisms it. I found this picture at google images here.\

7 comments:

  1. I've been brewing my own kombucha for about 6 months. I started because the brands available in my area taste awful compared to other brands I've had in the past.

    Since then I now find my homemade brew much better than any of the store bought brands. I enjoy controlling it so I can have a much stronger kombucha.

    It's safe (no problems so far), easy and fun. In fact, I started a brew today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have made my own and it is delicious. See if you can find someone who has a mother and it is easy schmeazy to make this stuff.

    All you need is a big glass bowl, masking tape, a dark cabinet and a dish towel. See how simple that is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am excited to hear that it is so easy! What do you add to yours or do you drink it as is?

    ReplyDelete
  4. So many people seem to like this... maybe I need to try it1

    ReplyDelete
  5. The new Grape Kombucha is amazing. Reminds me of Grape Soda.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love, love, love these drinks! Unfortunately, my bank account hates them. Everything in moderation, right?

    ReplyDelete
  7. How often do you drink the tea? I have tried it a couple of times and it isn't bad. I have heard some say it reminds them of carbonated vinegar. ha ha

    ReplyDelete